Monday, October 31, 2005

This blog is intended to inform and educate those interested in golf. From time to time I will enter thoughts on the state of the game and the instruction I use to help my students learn. Who knows where this will lead. This will be a learning experience for myself and those who read and follow the advice in this blog. Feedback is always appreciated.

Playing History
First Round - July 4, 1964 Ella Sharp Park Golf Course, Jackson, MI
Played 3 years Albion (MI) High School.
1971 Michigan Class B High School Champion
Played 4 years Division I College Golf at Western Michigan University.
1974 Mid-American Conference Champion
1976 Michigan State Amateur Champion
Turned Professional January, 1977
Attempted Tour Qualifying 3 times.
Played in 1987 Tucson Open. Missed Cut
Played in 1995 Byron Nelson. Missed Cut
Won 1993 NTPGA Pro-Pro
Won 1993 & 2000 Metro Chapter PGA Pro-Pro
Won 2004 NTPGA Senior Club Pro
Won 4 times on FINA NTPGA Senior Associates Tour.
Have held course records at 3 different courses.

A brief history of where I've been as a player. Much more importantly to you is where I have been and where I'm at now as a instructor.

It all began in the Mid 60's when the neighbor paid me a dozen golf balls to help his son with his game. Throughout high school and college, my teammates would often come to me for help. After college I worked as a club pro, giving lessons and working in the pro shop. My first lessons were somewhat helpful, but I didn't know much. It took time for me to find the passion and drive to become a first rate instructor.

Over the coming weeks and months I will post information on how you can make the most of you and your abilities to play this challenging game. The first thing to realize is you are a unique individual and should approach golf and life in a way to maximize your abilities. You must understand the players on the all the professional tours are very athletically gifted. All of you have some athletic gifts. How to put yourself in a position to use your gifts is the question you must answer.

My teaching philosophy is simple. Bad results are caused by;
1. Grip incorrect for the you.
2. Set up incorrect for you.
3. Equipment used incorrect for you.
4. Thought process incorrect for you.
5. Any combination of the above.

Once these things are correct, most swing faults and bad results disappear.

Let's begin to correct previous damage.

Things you need to eliminate from your thought process when you play.
1. Keep your head down.
2. Keep your left(right if you play left handed) arm straight.
3. You have to get under the ball.
4. You have to get the ball up.

Things you need to know about yourself.

Which eye is my dominant eye?
The easiest test to determine your dominate eye is to extend your arms and make a small triange using the thumb and forefinger of each hand to make the triange. Look at yourself in a mirror. Whatever eye you can see in the mirror is your dominant eye. This is one of the things you will need to know when you set up to hit any shot.

Which hand is my dominant hand?
The hand you use when eating with a fork.
The hand you use to wipe yourself after a bowel movement.

That's all for the first post. Thanks for your attention.

Mike Hurley
PGA Golf Professional

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home