Monday, August 03, 2009

Finally someone has the right diagnosis for Tiger Woods

Yesterday I was home watching the Buick Open and heard Peter Kostis say that Tiger's problems are in his grip and set-up. Welcome to the party. Tiger sets up wrong for his left eye dominance. At address, his spine angle is far too upright and his shoulders do not have enough tilt. This causes him to not get behind the ball at the top of his swing. From there he has to manipulate the club to make solid contact.

Lately I have been hitting ball left handed to test my eye dominance theories. If I get my front (right) arm and the shaft in a straight line tilted toward the target, I hit nice shots. I hit a left handed drive that actually hooked. My left handed set up is different than my right handed set up. I have more shoulder tilt, aim my club at a spot on the ground, and my front (right) arm in line with the shaft of the club. I hope to take pictures of my left hand and right hand set ups and reverse the left hand image. The set ups will not look the same.

My golf right handed golf swing has really improved lately. While giving a lesson the other day, I had the student swing the club back to the point where the shaft of the club was parallel to the ground. At this point, if the grooves of the club are vertical, the club will feel light. However, if the grooves of the club are horizontal, the club will feel much heavier.

As with most of my lessons, I demonstrate the position. I noticed the feel when the grooves were vertical. This was not the sensation I normally felt. I have been paying attention to the lighter feeling as I swing the club. My balance has improved. My ball contact has improved. It has also made a difference on my chipping and pitching. This light feeling should also be felt on the follow through when the club shaft is parallel to the ground.

Until next time.

Mike

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home