Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Notes on the Masters

What a great tournament. Several players had good chances to win. Only Angel Cabrera answered the call.

How about Phil Mickelson? On Tuesday I watched a highlight special from the 2004 Masters and his then coach Rick Smith was talking about the 12th hole. Smith was saying the key to his victory was the 12th hole. Phil had learned to play the hole with a cut shot from the tee with either an 7 or 8 iron. On Sunday, the announcer said Phil had chosen a 9 iron. When I heard that I knew he would not win. The only way for him to get that club to the hole was to hit a hook toward the water. Bad choice.

On Sunday morning, I enjoyed a brunch with my family. My son asked who I liked to win. I replied Angel Cabrera. He had two things in his favor. #1, he had won a major before. #2, his swing was the soundest of the three leaders.

If you get the chance to watch the Masters in High Definition, do so. The detail was amazing. If you get the chance to go the Masters, do so. I have not been but, everyone who has been says the colors are beautiful and the elevation changes are very dramatic.

Thanks,
Mike Hurley

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home